Woman’s identity stolen from Facebook scam | Police reports July 12-18

A 28-year-old woman from Brookfield surrendered to police on July 15, two days after someone posing as a Facebook friend convinced her to provide personal information and currency for what happened. turned out to be an online scam.

The victim told police she received a message from what appeared to be a Facebook friend on July 13. The post described a grant program through the Department of Homeland Security and stated that his “friend” could help him take advantage of the program.

Believing the message was from her friend, the victim provided a photo of her ID card and wired $ 380 worth of Bitcoin at an Oak Park convenience store.

On July 15, the victim began receiving messages from family and friends that his Facebook account had been hacked and that they were receiving strange messages and posts from him. The victim was unable to provide police with any screenshots showing interactions with the scammer, as she had been blocked on her Facebook account.

Another catalytic converter theft

A catalytic converter was sawn from the undercarriage of a vehicle at Brookfield between noon on July 15 and 10 a.m. on July 16, the third time in as many weeks that such theft had occurred.

Brookfield Police responded to the 9100 block of Grant Avenue after a resident called police to report the theft of the vehicle, which was parked in the driveway of the house. The victim did not hear anything overnight and only discovered the missing catalytic converter when starting his Toyota that morning.

According to the police report, the estimated cost to replace the catalytic converter was $ 2,200. The devices are attractive to thieves because they contain precious metals such as platinum and palladium which provide good value to the scrap metal.

Brookfield Police reported similar thefts of catalytic converters on June 29 in the 3400 block of Madison Avenue and on July 8 in the 3200 block of Sunnyside Avenue.

Tools stolen from a truck

A resident of the 2400 block of 2nd Avenue, North Riverside, called police on July 12 to report that overnight someone entered his van, which he had left unlocked in his driveway , and removed a bucket of tools and a bag of tools from the back seat. The vehicle’s glove box and center console were also open.

In total, approximately $ 600 in hand and power tools was stolen from the truck.

A biker injured in an accident

A man from Berwyn was taken by paramedics to Loyola University Medical Center for treatment of unspecified injuries after a 2011 Chevy Traverse driven by a Berwyn woman collided with his 2002 Honda CBR600 sports motorcycle , which was heading east on Cermak Road to Keystone Avenue on July 13 at around 9 a.m.

The woman was driving the Chevy Traverse west on Cermak Road and told police she did not see the motorcycle until she turned left in front of the motorcycle. The rider of the motorcycle said he attempted to brake when he saw the Chevrolet turn in front of him and skidded to the rear passenger side.

Police say the woman’s driver’s license has been suspended. She was cited for failure to yield and for driving with a suspended license.


  • North Riverside Police have charged a 71-year-old Chicago woman with drunk driving and escape and escape – albeit at speeds well below the posted speed limit – and other offenses after that she would have driven for three kilometers before finally stopping for a patrol car with flashing hazard lights, which followed her on July 16 at around 12:35 a.m.

The officer first observed the 2021 Toyota Rav4, which appeared to have new damage to the driver’s side, heading north on First Avenue at 26th Street, driving without headlights and obstructing traffic by driving at 20 mph in a 35 mph zone.

The Toyota continued north, crossing the center line in oncoming traffic at one point, police said, until it reached I-290, when the officer finally braked the vehicle.

  • Riverside Police charged a 48-year-old Chicago man with impaired driving after a patrolling officer ran into a stopped vehicle in the traffic lane at an angle in the 200 block of East Burlington Street on July 17 at around 1:20 a.m.

After approaching the vehicle, the officer observed that the driver was sleeping behind the moving vehicle. The driver’s hand was above the gear lever, which had been placed in the park.

Unable to wake the driver, the policeman opened the car door and removed the key from the ignition. The driver smelled strongly of alcohol, police said, and had urinated on himself. Police also reported observing empty beer cans in the vehicle.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield Police Departments from July 12-18 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise noted, anyone named in these reports has only been charged with one felony. These cases have not been tried.

Source link

Comments are closed.