Memories of Glasgow: George was a star singer of the city’s dancehall era

A TRANSATLANTIC query on a singer from Glasgow in the 1960s recently caught the attention of Times Past readers.

John Macdonald from Ontario, Canada had been trying to find an old friend from his dancehall days in the city.

He and his then-girlfriend, now wife, Rena Muir, had briefly met George Watson while attending dances at the Denny Palais – but had lost contact.

“George was a lovely person, with a lovely voice,” he told us.

“I always wondered what happened to him and if he had continued his singing career.”

Glasgow Timetables:

As soon as we ran the story, George’s family got in touch to tell us about the beautiful young singer who wowed the crowds at the Dennistoun Palais de Danse.

Son Paul explained, “George was my father, who sang in the famous dance halls, as mentioned in the article.

“He also moved to Canada (in the Mississauga area of ​​Toronto) with his wife and family around 1966.”

Glasgow Times: one of Glasgow's best dance hall groups

George was a sheet metal worker by trade and worked on DC10 planes in Canada, where he also joined an Italian singing group.

“We all went back to Glasgow in 1970, dad becoming a hackney taxi driver / owner,” Paul explained.

Glasgow Times: Dennistoun Palais

“He was secretary of the Pinkies Taxi Fleet (GRTA) and a Credit Union pioneer in the taxi business, along with other GRTA members. ”

George grew up in Townhead and was orphaned at 16. He began his singing career in a group called Teen Beats at the Flamingo Dance Hall, which later became the Jack Anderson Orchestra. He was only a teenager.

Despite our photo, which George gave John in the 1960s, George never played drums, as far back as Paul, sister Natalie and brother Garry remember.

George sang alongside Tommy McBain, another talented singer who was tragically murdered on a train in Glasgow in 1962.

READ MORE: Search for ’60s dancehall singer in Glasgow uncovers tragic tale

Sadly, soon after the family returned to Scotland, a fire at the house destroyed almost all of their belongings, including photos.

Sadly, George developed emphysema and died in 1996, when he was just 55 years old.

John said: “It’s amazing to have found George and to hear that he was happy in his life. But it’s so sad to hear how short his life has been.

What memories do you have of the great dance halls of Glasgow? Contact Times Past to share your stories and photos.

Source link

Comments are closed.