Lock Upp faces legal troubles as Hyderabad court issues interim suspension, new promo says ‘coming soon’ instead of Feb 27 | Web series

Just days before the premiere of Kangana Ranaut’s digital debut, her Lock Upp is facing legal issues. A copyright infringement case has already been filed and a civil court in Hyderabad has now issued an interim injunction against the producers of Lock Upp. Alt Balaji and Balaji Telefilms have been named in the case. Ekta Kapoor was also named separately in the case, along with Karan Medi’s MX Player and Endemol Shine. (Also read: Lock Upp: Kaaranvir Bohra is the 5th inmate accused of stealing the show)


In the order dated February 23, Hyderabad City Civil Court said: “Issue an interim injunction against the respondents/defendants, their men and agents or any other person working on their behalf, to publish, exhibit, publish the series in the name of Lock Upp or any other name by the defendants in cinemas, OTT platforms, YouTube, any electronic media and social media, etc. The next hearing in this case will be on March 9.

Sanober Baig, who filed the case, claimed he registered the idea for a reality show with the Screen Writers’ Association in 2018 and was even working on the concept with director Shantanu Re. The show was to be called The Jail. He also said that Endemol CEO Abhishek Rage had been in contact with Sanober and they discussed the idea of ​​the show earlier and he even promised to work on it after the end. of the pandemic. The Hyderabad-based businessman added that he also pitched the idea for the show to Star Plus but things did not materialize.


Speaking to Hindustan Times, Sanober confirmed that the notices had been served, in person. “I’m not looking for fame or money. My whole team – the writer, the screenwriter, the director, everyone – worked on the concept for at least eight months. He added that he is not not acceptable for someone else to go ahead with the idea, without “our approval”.


When asked if he was seeking credit for his idea, compensation, or participation, Sanober said, “I would like to let the court decide. When I had the discussion in 2020, Endemol assured me that we would do it as a common concept. Then he (Enddemol CEO Abhishek) decided to share this with Alt Balaji and they collaborated and are now doing this show. It’s kind of a stab at me.

In his plea, Sanober clarified that his concept for the show also had a jailer, the contestants were supposed to be in costumes (like we saw in the Lock Upp promos). It was supposed to feature 22 celebrities who would all be prisoners with a jailer, deputy jailer, six guards (three men and three women) and would be locked up in a jail for 100 days.


The show’s producers have yet to respond to the suspension order, but the show’s latest promo does not mention a date for the show’s premiere. Kangana Ranaut is set to play the host of the show which will mark her digital debut. Nisha Rawal, Babita Phogat, Poonam Pandey, Karanvir Bohra and Munawar Faruqui have been confirmed as contestants of the show which was originally scheduled to start airing from February 27.

Comments are closed.