Eaton introduces differentials for electric vehicles
Galesburg, Michigan, August 25, 2021 – Energy management company Eaton today announced that its vehicle group has launched an extensive line of specialized differentials for electrified vehicles with performance comparable to traditional internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles. The passenger vehicle market is increasingly moving towards electrified vehicles (EVs), and Eaton has the expertise and experience to provide the solution EV manufacturers need.
Eaton’s line of Traction Control differentials can provide better traction in adverse conditions, such as snow and mud, and improved stability when towing. As a global supplier, Eaton has extensive knowledge of vehicle dynamics and safety standards, as well as decades of experience working with global automakers to integrate differentials into new vehicle platforms. Eaton has been supplying differentials to the electric vehicle market since 2015.
“Eaton is performing a comprehensive system analysis, using state-of-the-art tools and in-house know-how, to design an electrified differential for vehicles optimized for efficiency, reliability and manufacturing,” said Brent Pawlak, director of business unit, Eaton’s Vehicle Group. “We can also partner with an OEM to design and develop a differential that meets specifications and requirements, including torque levels, duty cycles, fatigue and size requirements, as electric vehicles often require compact components and unique torque requirements that can be incorporated into electrified transmissions. ”
Eaton offers a full line of differentials for electrified vehicles, including automatic limited slip, automatic locking and selectable electronic locking differentials. Each differential is highly designed, tested and validated for a variety of traction control applications. Performance is verified at Eaton’s Proving Ground testing complex in Marshall, Michigan, which is home to more than 600 acres of testing facilities and tracks.
Eaton’s traction control solutions include:
- Truetrac – Helical gear limited slip differential maximizes wheel traction and improves handling and handling characteristics. Fits easily into compact packaging spaces, with high power density capability.
- ELocker – Allows maximum drivetrain flexibility. Users can switch from a fully open axle to a fully locked axle with the push of a button, or it can be integrated into the vehicle (automatic locking). High torque capacity and range, with compact designs for EV applications.
- IntelliTrac – The electronically controlled intelligent limited slip differential is fully integrated into the vehicle to provide instant response and optimized vehicle performance at any speed or traction condition.
- MLocker – Automatic mechanical locking differential that gives drivers best-in-class traction without the need for buttons, shift knobs or other operator intervention. Improves towing and off-road performance with low integration cost.
- Posi – Limited slip differential that automatically prevents wheel spinning before it can start. Fits easily into most axle designs and can be tailored to suit application requirements.
- Open – Compact open differential that provides an economical solution for managing torque between left and right wheels.
Eaton’s mission is to improve quality of life and the environment through the use of energy management technologies and services. We provide sustainable solutions that help our customers to efficiently manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical energy in a safer, more efficient and more reliable way. Eaton’s revenue in 2020 was $ 17.9 billion and we sell products to customers in more than 175 countries. We have approximately 85,000 employees. For more information, visit www.eaton.com